Buckton Fort stands near the Roman town of Bravonium,
modern day Leintwardine
in Herefordshire, near the border with Shropshire.
The Fort was discovered in 1959 when aerial photographs taken during a drought, showed markings in the parched ground. The photographs also showed a camp at nearby Buckton Park.
Excavations during the following three years led to the conclusion that the Fort was built c AD120. It was occupied by a garrison of up to 1,000 troops until c AD160 when it was dismantled. As this time the troops were moved to another fort in Leintwardine.
Buckton Fort was rectangular, measuring approximately 560ft east to west by 460ft, facing East. The three gates each had a stone guard chamber. There were streets, a granary, and the commandants house. The defences consisted of ditches and rampart fronted by a stone wall. Nearby Buckton Park is thought to have been a temporary marching camp, used by the troops while the fort was being built. There was also a bath house nearby.
Buckton Castle is set on a ridge above Buckton Moor near Stalybridge, in modern day Greater Manchester. Some 1,100 feet above sea level it was probably built to guard the Tame Valley.
The castle dates back to the 12th century, although it is thought to be built on the same site as an Iron Age Hill Fort. Probably built for William de Neville, Lord of Longdendale, it was listed as a ruin in a 1359 survey called for by the Black Prince, who had acquired the land. It is an early medieval ringwork, oval in shape, and measuring 35m by 45m.
Excavations carried out on the site found a huge ditch and a massive “curtain” wall. This shows that the Castle was built by the upper echelons of society, and was a high ranking Castle. The outer walls were made of stone and were 2.8 metres wide. The ditch surrounding the Castle was 10m wide and 6m deep. The interior of the castle was raised by 2m.
Thought for many years to be an old earthwork, the true identity of the castle lay hidden. Stones had been stolen
and it was overgrown with heather and peat. During the Second World War, the site was used as an anti-aircraft decoy site. Excavations carried out by a team from Manchester University uncovered a major discovery.
In 1536 beacons were lit at Buckton Castle as a march on foot to plead for the monasteries invited people to join in the enterprise.
In 1558 the beacons were lit to warn people of the approaching Spanish Armada and to signal the militia to assemble.
Buckton is a small village 3 1/2 miles north east of Bridlington, near Flamborough Head, in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Bempton, the neighbouring village is well known for its RSPB
reserve at Bempton Cliffs
Buckton Hall was built circa 1744. It stands just outside the township of Buckton, on high ground near the cliffs at Speeton. Built for John Robinson, it is a Georgian four storey house with a chalk ashlar front and stone dressings. It originally had curved screening walls that linked to outbuildings, as well as a double pitched roof. These were demolished after a fire gutted the building in 1919. The roof has been replaced with a flat roof.
The manor of Buckton had been held by the Buckton family from the 13th century. A WIlliam de Buckton attended Parliament in 1258. In the 16th century, Ursula Buckton married John Collingwood and the estate was inherited by their son Robert Collingwood. He sold it in 1617 to Thomas Blakiston who then sold it to Henry Robinson, a London merchant. It was his grandson, John Robinson, who had Buckton Hall built, replacing an older Hall on the same site.
John Robinson married Hannah Foulis and their daughter Hannah inherited Buckton Hall. She was married to another Foulis, William Foulis of Ingleby. The Foulis family originally came from Scotland, and had a long history of service to the Scottish monarchs. Williams’ ancestor had been Knighted by James I of England, and given Ingleby as a reward for his service.
Wiliam and Hannah Foulis had a son, John Robinson Foulis, who married Decima Hester Beatrix Sykes, eldest daughter of Christopher Sykes, 2nd baronet Sykes of Sledmere. He gave his daughter, as a mariage settlement, a mansion and land at West Heslerton and a marriage portion of £10,000. When John Robinson Foulis died, he left his daughters £15,000. The lands at West Heslerton and Buckton were inherited by his son, Mark Foulis.
There are letters surviving from the privy council for trade and the Customs House in Scarborough, that show that Mark Foulis was given the right of a wreck that washed ashore at Buckton in 1857. Buckton Hall was connected to the beach by a tunnel and there was a Smugglers hoist in the kitchen.
Running two estates and a love of gambling on the horses led Mark Foulis into financial difficulty. He was forced to mortage his estates in 1842, and by 1856 they were in the hands of Trustees. When Mark Foulis died in 1869, unmarried, the Trustees sold the estates in two lots. Buckton Hall is now a working farm.
Danemead, the story of a Buckton home.
Danemead Grove was built in 1939. The land used had previously been the site of Danemead House, its gardens and orchard. In 1937, the house was used by “Sabu, the Elephant Boy” while filming The Elephant Boy, presumably at the Gaumont British Pictures temporary film studio off Eastcote Lane in Northolt. The elephants arrived by train.
Alongside the Northolt Park Racecourse, Danemead House had been used as its offices and club house. The racecourse was opened in 1929 and during the thirties was the National Centre for pony racing. The course was a popular venue, attracting stars of theatre and screen. Special trains were laid on, arriving at the nearby Northolt Park Station. The gates to the Racecourse still stand near the station. New offices were built, and Danemead House was demolished. The races stopped in 1939. The racecourse had been put in the hands of the receivers in 1937, despite the huge popularity of the meetings. Too much money had been spent making the course the most innovative of the time. In 1945, with the land still in the hands of the Receiver, Ealing Council made an offer to purchase it for much needed post war housing. A public enquiry was held in 1946 with many local residents and race goers opposing the plans. Despite several moves during the next few years to incorporate the racecourse within a new area of housing, the Council finally won the battle and the Racecourse estate was started in 1951.
The Bucktons were the second couple to purchase a house (off plan) in Danemead Grove, and during their engagement made trips to the site to watch the house being built. They moved in after their honeymoon in September 1939. The war years saw Mr Buckton serving in the RAF, and Mrs Buckton living in Danemead Grove, with her mother. They had an air raid shelter in the garden, but preferred to duck under the dining table when the sirens sounded, returning to their jigsaw puzzle, on the all clear.
At the end of the war a VE party was held in the street, complete with live musicians. This was the start of the streets Residents Association. On 24 November 1945 they held a Victory Christmas Party in St Hilda’s Hall, Northolt Road. Complete with a fancy dress parade, carol singing and a pantomine. Dick Whittington, writtten and produced by Danemead resident, Mr Suter. Mr Buckton painted the scenery. Mrs Buckton made some of the costumes. The cast made up solely of street residents.
On Coronation day in 1953 another street party took place. Again fun and games and a fancy dress competition. Long tables in the road were covered with food prepared by the resdents.The residents association was growing and gradually spread to cover the whole area and became known as the Wood End Green and District Residents association. The Bucktons were the social secretaries, up until the late eighties.
Danemead Grove again has its own residents association, formed to fight proposals to build subways through the nearby railway embankment during road widening work. They won their fight, and new plans were drawn up to build pavements under a new bridge. Work started in July 2008, and completed several years later.